How to claim Income tax refund of deceased

In Civil Law
How to take income tax refund of the deceased (mother ) especially when all the saving bank accounts have been closed. Can the son give his saving bank account number & collect the refund while filing IT return online. If not what is the process to claim.

Answers (2)

146 votes

This is my response to you:
1. Obtain a succession certificate from tehsil office;
2. You will need to apply for it as soon as possible;
3. Carry necessary documents that need to be attached with your application;
4. Consult a local lawyer and take steps.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

173 votes

As per the Section 159 of the Indian Income Tax Act 1961, the legal heir is liable to file the ITR and pay the income tax dues, if any. The online provision to file the taxes makes it easy for everyone. Income Tax Rebate calculation can be done by a chartered accountant. The legal heir will be considered as the assesse. As applicable on the deceased assesse, all the Income Tax provisions will be levied accordingly on the legal heir. The legal heir will need to register him/herself as the legal successor of the decedent online, on the income tax website. This will allow him/her to file the ITR online on the behalf of the deceased & also to claim income tax refund if any.

Popular Civil Lawyers

Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience
Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
26 years Experience
Advocate Peeyush Kaushik
Dwarka District Court, Delhi
14 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
14 years Experience

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Civil Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles