Does free home made sarbat distribution need any approval from govt.

Hi, I would like to distribute free homemade sarbhat this summer in Pune. Do I need to seek any approval or procure any certificate etc. I am not part of any business, NGO , org etc and this will be a small social service I want to do. Thanks

The requirement for registration and license would vary based on the format of the fresh fruit juice business. Unorganised fresh fruit juice shops seldom have any registrations except for a FSSAI registration. However, large format juice shops that have plans for creating a franchise model are typically established as a private limited company with FSSAI license to accommodate future scaling up of the business.

Pre-packaged fresh fruit juice businesses are almost always created as a private limited company to have easier access to bank or equity funding. Further, establishing a business as a corporate entity will also ensure its easily transferable, provides limited liability protection and has perpetual existence.

Its highly advisable for a new fresh fruit business or an existing fresh fruit juice business which has a unique name/brand to obtain trademark registration. Trademark registration will ensure the brand is not copied by competitors and the business is franchisable in the future.

Registration or licensing with the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India is a must for all juice shops or juice businesses. The requirement between FSSAI registration and FSSAI license would vary based on the type and scale of the fruit juice business. In addition to the FSSAI license or registration, testing of bottled juices for various parameters and compliance with food labelling regulations in would might be mandated by FSSAI to ensure the product is safe for consumption.

Advocate Peeyush Kaushik
Dwarka District Court, Delhi
Advocate Swapnil Jamkar
Chhatrapati Square, Nagpur