Clarification on getting government job under OBC category

Sir, I am a genuine OBC citizen. I joined a central govt job 12 years back in general category. I did not apply the job in OBC category though I had my OBC certificate at that time and have been continuing my job as General category employee. However, now I realise that I should submit my OBC ceryificate to my department and change my caste category from general to OBC. Sir, my questions are- 1. Whether my request will be accepted by my department? 2. Will there be any objection from my department for giving the declaration so lately ( after 12 years of service) 3. Any thing which may affect my service ? please provide me your valuable advice. Thanks.

Answers (2)

53 votes

Why do you want to do it now . No extra privilege will occur to you if you declare yourself as BACKWARD . In case you feel that in future promotions it may help you , you will be within your rights to submit the caste certificate with a forwarding note that at the time of joining you did not have CASTE CERTIFICATE , hence applied as GENERAL Candidate .

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

51 votes

If you were an OBC candidate, then you ought to have applied under the OBC category at the entry level itself. After 12 years of service if you seek to change your caste status, i don't thing that your department will entertain such request and even if your department somehow entertains your request, then other general category employees of the department may file cases in appropriate forum to set aside and quash such order on the ground that being a reserved category candidate, you have not disclosed the same at the time of recruitment and fraudulently occupied a general category post. The govt. may in the alternative also take disciplinary action against you and terminate your service on this ground. So it would be better to save your job than to think about reservation benefits. Hope this is sufficient information for you :)

Popular Civil Lawyers

Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
26 years Experience
Advocate Vijay Tangri
Saket, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Kapil Chandna
Patiala House Court, Delhi
8 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
12 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Civil Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles