Can accused be punished twice for same offence by different courts?

is it possible if a person has gone for jail for 2 years for a case and he again got 5 years imprisonment by higher court for the same case then 2 years will get deducted from the total and he will release in 3 years ?

If the sentence is awarded for 5 year by enhancing the lower court punishment the period which accused is in jail is deducted and will remain in jail for the rest period
No person can be punished twice for the same offence for which he already punished earllier

Advocate Swapnil Jamkar
Chhatrapati Square, Nagpur
Advocate Surangama Sharma
Gomti Nagar, Lucknow