Can accused be punished twice for same offence by different courts?

is it possible if a person has gone for jail for 2 years for a case and he again got 5 years imprisonment by higher court for the same case then 2 years will get deducted from the total and he will release in 3 years ?

Answers (1)

128 votes

If the sentence is awarded for 5 year by enhancing the lower court punishment the period which accused is in jail is deducted and will remain in jail for the rest period
No person can be punished twice for the same offence for which he already punished earllier

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Civil Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
24 years Experience
Advocate Peeyush Kaushik
Dwarka District Court, Delhi
12 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
26 years Experience
Advocate Vijay Tangri
Saket, Delhi
21 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Civil Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles