What is the procedure for giving child's custody to wife?

The court had given the child custody in my favor and the child is in my custody but I want the custody to be in wife's favor now. My wife has taken the child with her now. What is the procedure and how much time / hearing does it take?




First of all, we have to examine the order, wherein we will have to examine the grounds on which Court awarded you the custody of child.


Further, Court has all power to appoint and remove the guardian. The Court can remove an guardian under Section 39 of The  Guardians and Wards Act, 1890. Section 39 is reproduced here under for your better understanding:


39. Removal of guardian.-


The court may, on the application of any person interested, or of its own motion, remove a guardian appointed or declared by the Court, or a guardian appointed by will or other instrument, for any of the following causes, namely :- For abuse of his trust for continued failure to perform the duties of his trust, for incapacity to perform the duties of his trust, for ill-treatment, or neglect to take proper care, of his ward, for contumacious disregard of any provision of this Act or of any order of the Court, for conviction of an offence implying, in the opinion of the Court, a defect of character which unfits him to be the guardian of his ward.


For having an interest adverse to the faithful performance of his duties.


For ceasing to reside within the local limits of the jurisdiction of the Court.


In the case of a guardian of the property, for bankruptcy or insolvency. By reason of the guardianship of the guardian ceasing, or being liable to cease, under the law to which the minor is subject.


Provided that a guardian appoint by will or other instrument, whether he has been declared under this Act, or not, shall not be removed- For the cause mentioned in clause (g) unless the adverse interest accrued after the death of the person who appointed him, or it is shown that person made and maintained the appointment In ignorance of the existence of the adverse interest, or for the cause mentioned in clause (h) unless such guardian has taken up such a residence as, in the opinion of the Court, renders it impracticable for him to discharge the functions of guardian.


In view of aforesaid, an application may be filed by you or your wife therein specify the ground on you wish to cease custody of your child. The Court after considering the paramount interest /welfare of child may pass order.


It will difficult to state the exact time, but it might take 6 months to 1 years for complete procedure.


Kindly contact us for any further details and action.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Child Custody Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Child Custody Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

my child is 24month now and my husband dropped me at my parent's place when I was in 2nd trimester since then he lost all contact with us. hen thr…

Read More

Mutual divorced now mother asking custody. Filled a petition under civil M A. Please give advice.…

Read More

Hi if the child, 8 years old, wants to stay with father/in-laws can mother seek custody? As the child needs to be taken care of in all aspects being a…

Read More

Sir I live in MATHURA. My wife from raiganj. Last two years she live in raiganj with my 4.8 year son RCR PASSED IN MY FAVOR. but she will not come bac…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue