Is it possible to adopt a child without informing my partner about it?

I am married but I am living with my parents because for some disputes from my matrimonial home. I don't want to give divorce to my husband and want to adopt a child without informing them. Is it possible? In future without mentioning father name school and colleges will take the admission of the child? Please suggest

Answers (1)

267 votes

As per the Hindu Adoptions and Maintenance Act 1956, a Hindu female who is not a minor and of sound mind (presuming you are a Hindu) can only adopt when either of the following conditions are satisfied:

> marriage has been dissolved or
> husband is dead or
> husband has completely and finally renounced the world or
> husband has ceased to be a Hindu or
> husband has been declared by a court of competent jurisdiction to be of unsound mind,

Since your husband does not fall into any of the above categories, you are not eligible to adopt a child even if your husband consents to it.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Child Custody Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Child Custody Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles