Husband planning to take daughters abroad w/o my consent to settle.

My husband might take our daughters out of the country without my notice and consent. We have had conflicts in our marriage for quite some time and have 2 daughters aged 2.5 years and 6 years. Now he plans to settle out of India and I am afraid that he might take my daughters along without my consent.


I don't even have a passport and would not want to lose my daughters in any case. Can I stop him somehow and can I apply for the custody of my daughters without going for Divorce?


Also, how can I get financial support for the education and upbringing of my daughters?




The Child custody matters in India are governed by the Guardians and Wards Act 1890, which is applicable to people of all religions in India. Under this Act generally, the custody of a small child is given to the mother. Custody of older boys may be given to the father, and of older girls to the mother. However, courts also consider specific personal laws while giving their judgements.

Hindus are governed by the Hindu Minority and Guardianship Act 1956. Although the Act provides that the father is the natural guardian of the child, the paramount consideration for custody is the welfare of the child. Courts in India have therefore tended to give custody of young children to the mother, on the grounds that ‘children of tender years’ cannot manage without maternal affection.


Hence you can file a petition for custody of your daughters. You can get a restraint order from Court that your husband should not move the children out of the jurisdiction of the concerned Court.


You can even register a complaint of Domestic Violence against your husband and pray for temporary custody of your daughters under Section 21 of the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005.


Now with respect to financial support, the same can be claimed under the Domestic Violence Act or even under the Hindu Marriage Act when the custody of the child is granted to you.


Lastly, to answer your question about Custody without Divorcve - Yes, you can file for custody of children without filing for divorce.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Child Custody Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
34 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Child Custody Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

I want to inquire few things with regard to Muslim Divorce case. Firstly we are Indian Muslim couple and got married in Mumbai India few years back bu…

Read More

Hello Sir, I am an Indian resident 39 years old married in 1st July 2008 and now lives in Pune for last 4 years.My wife left my rented house at Pune w…

Read More

hi, my wife has filed false 498a case angainst my family. We are puzzled whether we should apply for custody of our 2 year old child. My parents are s…

Read More

My sister in law expired in 2014 and I want custody of her daughter from his father. Can I get the custody…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue