Child's Surname to Change

In Child Custody Law
G,day, I've been awarded the LEGAL GUARDIANSHIP by the Learned Court with the Child's Consent as the Biological Parents remarried with theirs' paramours' & the said Biological father left my Grandson since 28th april'2012 onwards & Biological Mother left my Grandson on 14th Dec'2012 onwards, & as per news, Biological Mother has a daughter from her's Paramour. FYG,. I'm the Maternal Grandfather of my Grandson. & My Grandson is staying with since 14th Dec'2012& on 6th March'2014,I have been Awarded the LEGAL GUARDIANSHIP of my Innocent Grandson & Why to carry Excess Baggage of SURNAME.

Answers (1)

350 votes

To change a minor’s last name, the requester must be a parent, a legal guardian, or adults seeking an adoption. A situation could be where the mother never married the father and now either wants to change the child’s last name to her maiden name or for the child to acquire the father’s last name. If the father’s name was not initially listed on the birth certificate, he has the right to request a DNA test before consenting to the use of his name.
Legal Action Steps:
First: File a petition with the court clerk explaining why a name change is being requested. Depending on local policies, the petitioner may be required to publish a notice of the petition in a public newspaper or on a court website.
Second: Provide the court with documents supporting the petitioner’s relationship to the child. These can be the child’s birth certificate, divorce papers if the parents were married, the requester’s personal identification, or legal guardianship documents.
Third: File a notarized affidavit of consent from the biological father showing his agreement to the name change.
Fourth: Attend a hearing on the petition. When the biological father does not agree to the name change, the judge will schedule another hearing to listen to both sides of the case. The judge will want valid justification from the father in order to deny a name change request. The judge will render a decision after the hearings.
Fifth: A copy of the legal document showing a name change approval will allow the child to start using the new last name. The original birth certificate cannot be changed to reflect a new name. For future legal purposes, all parties need to keep copies of all documents related to the name change.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.


Popular Child Custody Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience
Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
26 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
37 years Experience

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Child Custody Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles