Can wife be prosecute if cheque was issued on my account not hers

My wife owes dues on a credit card bcoz of financial probs.i her husband settled her account and paid 7 instalments out of 8. Now the bank has filed a case against her but the cheque that was issued to the bank was frm my account and signed by was not a joint i want to know whether my wife can be prosecuted under NI act.pls reply as to wherther she has to appear before the court on the appointed date.

Answers (1)

229 votes

Neither you nor your wife can be prosecuted under the NI Act, under the circumstances mentioned by you. If your wife has received the summons in the case, the must have been numbered, therefore she needs to attend the Court but if there is sufficient time to file a case your wife needs to file a Criminal Petition under section 482 Criminal Procedure Code before the Hon'ble High Court and ask for quashing the case pending before the lower Court and pending disposal of such Petition she can ask the High Court to dispense with her presence before the lower Court.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles