Can a person who has had a court martial apply for a government job

Dear Sir, I was an airmen in Indian air force. Last year in an District Court Martial I was punished with three months rigorous imprisonment in civil custody followed by dismissal from Indian air force. Now I want to ask that can I apply for govt job, Is there any restrictions on me for applying to Govt job in India after my court martial.

Answers (3)

179 votes

The punishment as dismissal from service has great impact in life and you may not get any government job. However, you may get any job in private sector. If you think that the injustice is done to you, you may challenge that punishment.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

115 votes

You need to tell under which section were you charged with? There are restrictions and you will have to disclose the same in your application for the job. Certain grievous offences do debar future employment. Misappropriation of Govt. Funds, Fraud etc.

Popular Armed Forces Tribunal Lawyers

Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
26 years Experience
Advocate Divesh Sharma
Chitrakoot, Jaipur
5 years Experience
Advocate Suksham Aggarwal
District and Sessions Court, Ambala
7 years Experience
165 votes

If convicted, the person is disqualified from defense job. But not every punishment would disqualify such person from Civil Government employment. Categories of punishments such as imprisonment and higher conviction for offences involving moral turpitude and known disqualifications. Your punishment involving three months civil custody followed by dismissal from IAF does not absolutely bar you from applying for government jobs. You can apply for government jobs, subject to declaration.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Armed Forces Tribunal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles