Can a person who has had a court martial apply for a government job

Dear Sir, I was an airmen in Indian air force. Last year in an District Court Martial I was punished with three months rigorous imprisonment in civil custody followed by dismissal from Indian air force. Now I want to ask that can I apply for govt job, Is there any restrictions on me for applying to Govt job in India after my court martial.

The punishment as dismissal from service has great impact in life and you may not get any government job. However, you may get any job in private sector. If you think that the injustice is done to you, you may challenge that punishment.

You need to tell under which section were you charged with? There are restrictions and you will have to disclose the same in your application for the job. Certain grievous offences do debar future employment. Misappropriation of Govt. Funds, Fraud etc.

Popular Armed Forces Tribunal Lawyers

Advocate Divesh Sharma
Chitrakoot, Jaipur
Advocate Suksham Aggarwal
District and Sessions Court, Ambala

If convicted, the person is disqualified from defense job. But not every punishment would disqualify such person from Civil Government employment. Categories of punishments such as imprisonment and higher conviction for offences involving moral turpitude and known disqualifications. Your punishment involving three months civil custody followed by dismissal from IAF does not absolutely bar you from applying for government jobs. You can apply for government jobs, subject to declaration.