can i change my name in land records as my official name is different

my name are two. like one name is my official and other name is in village in my land. can i change in land regards my official name .? help me

Answers (1)

356 votes

Please specify what do you mean by village name?
Please specify what name is mentioned in all your official records, such as PAN CARD, Adhar Card, Voter ID card or in you school records?

If you want to change your name, then you are required to follow steps as under:

STEP 1: If you are 18 years of age (for minors, see below) and want to change name in India, the first thing you need to do isadvertise change of your name in a local leading daily newspaper.

This will depend where you live – Hindustan Times/Times of India/Dainik Jagran/Dainik Bhaskar should do the trick anywhere where English/Hindi are spoken in India. Otherwise a regional daily like Malayalam Manorama or Lokmat is what you need.

In the advertisement don’t forget to write your father’s or husband’s name along with your home address.

STEP 2: When you have gotten the advertisement printed, get hold of a pair of scissors.

Your next step in the name change process is to cut the advertisement out and give it to the Department of Publication, Ministry of Urban Development, Government of India. Don’t just send the newspaper cutting though.

There are a couple of more things. In the process of doing a name change in India, you also need to give an affidavit attested by any First Class Magistrate/Notary/Oath Commissioner. Get it prepared

The affidavit should basically say what your name was, what your changed name is, what your father’s/husband’s name is, and where do you live.

STEP 3: With the cutting and the affidavit ready, the third thing you need to do to change your name is complete a particular form  sign it yourself (old name not new) and get two friends to sign it as witnesses as well. Now duplicate this form. That’s the end of step three.

STEP 4: The final thing you need to do to in the 'change in name' process is to give to the Department of Publications is two passport size photographs. You can take all the things – newspaper cutting, affidavit, form and photos – yourself or send it by registered post.

Though if sending by post, don’t forget to get your photos attested. Also write a covering letter stating what all’s in the package. Makes things easier.

STEP 5: Now your part of the work in the name change in India process is done. The Government will print the change of your name in the Gazette. You need to pay though. The amount varies – either Rs. 700/- or Rs. 900 – depending on whether you want a public notice or not.

The money you can give either in cash in advance or by a demand draft/postal order drawn in favor of the Controller of Publication, Department of Publication, Civil Lines, Delhi – 110054.

The same address is where you have to go personally (office is open between 10 AM to 1 PM and 2 PM to 3 PM on any working day) or send the package you made in the above

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Arbitration Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Arbitration Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles