Action against US Citizen who married me and now says we are divorced

2 yrs back i got married to a US citizen.Both of us are Muslim.He kept on delaying the registration of marriage.Both of us went to court & signed intent of marriage on stamp paper then our Nikah took place.I have got all the related papers.My Meher is ten lakh of rupees.For one & half years everything was ok. But one day he sent me a mail that we are already divorced.And now he doesn't pick up my phone nor replies my mail.His mother live in Bombay, when i tried to contact her she refused to talk to me. Can i take any legal action against him as he is US citizen. Please give me advice.

Answers (1)

393 votes

The details furnished by you are very limited and it is diffcult for us to guide you with such limited information. 

Your marriage without a nikhanama could not have been solemnized and it acts as a documentary evidence.

Its your personal law that governs you and U.S  citizen will have no role play.

Thus by looking into your documents we can give you the perfect advise.

You can also sent a legal notice to your husband through a lawyer.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Arbitration Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Arbitration Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles