Wife make a will for the property & assets acquired from husband

My father died without a will. We are three brothers. All three of us signed all the assets of my father (self acquired by him) in favour of our mother. She became the owner of the apartment, shares and bank balances. Now my question is whether she can make a will for these assets that she acquired ? We are hindus.

Answers (2)

52 votes

As per the Hindu Succession Act, when a hindu dies intestate their assets are to be distributed with an equal share to all dependents.
Since, that is the case here your mother, brothers and you were equal shareholders in the property.
In order to allow your mother to include these properties in her will, the instrument by which your interests in the property were transferred to her must be examined.
If the transfer was valid, then she can may a will for the assets.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

189 votes

The question is not clear 'All three of us signed all the assets of my father (self acquired by him) in favour of our mother' means what? By what method you have signed and for what purpose
Is it for transfer of khatha of the apartment or your share in the apartment
Is it by an agreement or registered document
Unless you make clear these facts no legal opinion can be given rightly

Popular Wills / Trusts Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
23 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Wills / Trusts Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."