My husband wishes to relinquish his rights to any/all family assets/land, etc. which may come to him in the future.

Various elder members of his family are embroiled in disputes and cases for many years, and the asset holding is vast and in various locations across Maharashtra and Rajasthan.

Although he may lose out on a lot of land and money, my husband wants to give up all that as he does not want our son to inherit any problematic issues...!

What is the best way to relinquish, how can it be done, and how soon?


Your husband has the right to relinquish his property via making a relinquishment deed in presence of 2 witnesses and getting it registered through appropriate authorities. 

But, whenever a property is relinquished it is relinquished in someone's favor, so we advice you and your husband to find someone to whom you wish to give your share in the property.

Now coming to the second part of your query,

If the property is ancestral then your husband cannot relinquish the property on behalf of your son as it is his right to share in that property.

Even if the property is self acquired, he(your son) still has right in that till the property is disposed of by Will.

For making and registering a relinquishment deed we advice you to take help of a lawyer. 

However, to our understanding the property is disputed at this time, so until the dispute is resolved it is not possible to make a relinquishment deed. Nevertheless by issuing an NOC in the court where the cases of the disputed property is pending, your husband can relinquish all his rights in the property.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Wills / Trusts Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Wills / Trusts Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Create a Trust

4.8 | 132 ratings
30 Min Intro Call + Start to finish help - Create a Trust through a local experienced advocate
Probate of Will

4.6 | 73 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Filing for Probate of Will through a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Will

4.4 | 122 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Will review by a local experienced advocate
Will at Home

No Ratings
30 Min Intro Call + Start to finish help - Will drafted at home by a local experienced advocate
15 Minutes Wills / Trusts Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 351 ratings
Legal advice and answers from a local experienced advocate about your Will / Trust issue
Draft a Will

4.8 | 276 ratings
30 Min Intro Call + Start to finish help - A customised Will drafted by a local experienced advocate
Similar questions

Mr.X has registered will and the same is missing for a long time. What to do to cancel the original will and to make a new registered will ?…

Read More

Want to get a Will prepared for property (house) which is in my mother's name in Rajahmundry. We are Christians. I am the only daughter. No brothe…

Read More

किसी वसीयत को लिखने वाला और लिखाने वाला और एक हासीया गवाह …

Read More


Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue