Is probate of will necessary to enter my name in property card?

I have a register will can I enter my name in property card or city survey or probate is required for this process?

Answers (2)

348 votes

Probate is necessary only in Erst while Presidency towns of Bombay(Now Mumbai),calcutta(Now Kolkatta),Madras(Now chennai). Therefore if you do not belong to these metropolitan cities then on the basis of your registered Will, then you are first required to apply for mutation before the respective Municipal Corporation . Thereafter, you can get your name entered in property card or city survey.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

227 votes

Thank you for the query as this is an often asked question. Probate of a Will is ordinarily not required. You would need a probate if you wish to use the Will in legal proceedings. You can approach the local revenue authority to have the property mutated in your name. Though the requirements may differ from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. In Delhi a probate is not required though several Advocates recommend it to have a clear title to the property and to avoid issues in the future. It is a straightforward process. If you have any further queries please feel free to post them here.

Popular Wills / Trusts Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Wills / Trusts Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."