Is it necessary to get a registered Will probated or not?

Is it necessary to get a registered Will probated? I have a property in Delhi. I also possess a registered Will for the same. Should I get the Will probated or not?

Answers (1)

280 votes

A will is a document used by an individual, called the testator, to indicate how his assets are to be distributed after he dies. In other words, it is a legal instrument specifying the method to be applied in the management and distribution of a person's estate after his death.

Usually certain legal instruments specified in the Registration Act, 1908, require compulsory registration with competent authorities. Although, registration of a will is not compulsory in India, but registration implies that the person writing the will and the witnesses have appeared before the registering officers who have verified their identity and attested the same.

On the death of the testator, an executor of the Will or an heir of the deceased testator can apply for probate. `Probate Order' herein means  copy of a Will certified by Court of competent jurisdiction, which is to be treated as a direct evidence of the authenticity of a will thereby granting administration to the asset. In other words, probate is treated as conclusive evidence of genuineness of the will.

Although there is no explicit provision in law which states that a "Registered Will needs to probated", but if you apply for probate orders, it will be a conclusive evidence of genuineness of the will. It is further relevant to mention here that when you file probate application, you are required to pay a Court Fees as mentioned in Section 19 -1 of Court Fees Act which is approximately 2% to 3% on the value of the property.

With respect to your last query "Whether you should get your will probated, depends on the fact of your case. If there is no dispute between the legal heir and Will is not ambiguous, then there is no need for probation. You can get the property mutated in records of the MCD and other authorities like electricity board and Jal board etc. If there is a dispute, then you can file an probate application Section 276(1) of Indian Succession Act 1925 seeking for probate order.

Kindly contact us for any further details and action.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Wills / Trusts Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Wills / Trusts Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."