quesFather Willed property to me and my sister. Can brother ask share now?

My brother is not letting me have the share of property Willed to me by our father. A flat in Delhi in my mother's name was inherited 1/4 by my father, myself, my brother and my sister after my mother passed away 5 years ago. Me and my sister transferred our share to our father but the younger brother kept his share with himself.


My father passed away last year and has Willed 2/4 part to me and 1/4 to my sister through a registered Will. Now my younger brother is saying that the property must be divided equally among all of us.


How do I get the share as Willed by our father?


  • ans


    You need to approach the competent court for the grant of probate of the registered Will.


    A petition for probate must be filed in court along with the Will in question. It should contain the following details:


    (a) the time of the testator's death 
    (b) that the writing annexed in his last will and testament 
    (c) that it was duly executed 
    (d) the amount of assets which are likely to come to the petitioner's hands, and 
    (e) the petitioner is the executor named in the will.


    The application for probate shall be signed and verified by the executor or beneficiary. The petitioner shall furnish a blank stamp paper of value equal to the requisite court fee, along with the application. The court shall grant the probate on the said stamp paper. After receipt of the petition, the court issues notice to the next of kin of the deceased to file their objections, if any, to the grant of probate. A general public notice is also given in a newspaper. 


    The petitioner is thereafter asked to establish the 


    (a) Proof of death of the testator; 

    (b) Proof that the Will has been validly executed by the testator

    (c) Will is the last will and testament of the deceased

    (d) Proof of Death 

    (e) Issue of Probate by the Court


    On the satisfaction that the Will in question has been validly executed the court will grant probate to the  beneficiary named in the Will. And thus you can claim your share.


  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Wills / Trusts Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Wills / Trusts lawyers in India

Similar questions

My brother has executed a will and made my sister as a sole executer who…
I am 50 years old man and have 3 siblings including me living happily, my…
What is stamp duty on trust deed registration on agriculture land in basti for opening…
Our father has made a will in Singapore in the name of 3 brothers now…

Wills / Trusts Lawyers in India

Advocate R C Mahajan

  Paschim Vihar
 Experience: 23 years

Advocate Namrata Jayakar

 Experience: 14 years

Advocate Saurabh Dalal

  Punjab and Haryana High Court
 Experience: 11 years

Advocate Riddhi Shah

  Borivali East
 Experience: 11 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly