quesCan claim share in the 2nd property if already given property by Will?

My grandfather had 2 properties. My father had in total of 7 cousins. 8 children in total. For 1 of the property my grandfather left a registered Will in which he gave the property to 3 children including my father in it. Now regarding the 2nd property there is no Will that we know of and one of our uncle is in possession of the same and saying that the property belongs to him.

I wanted to know if my father can claim share in the 2nd property or not, on the fact that he has already be given property through Will. And how can we get the property given to us by Will?

  • ans

    With regard to first property wherein your grandfather has left a Will, you should apply for probate.

    Once you file a probate petition , court will issue notice to all legal heirs. Now, if there is no objection , the probate will be granted within 1year. However, if there is an objection then it might take a little longer time and approximately 2-4 years.

    In case of your second property, if there is no Will, then the property will devolve upon all legal heir equally. Further, you can file suit for partition thereby demanding your share.

    We suggest you to consult a local lawyer, who can advise you better after examining your documents.

  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Wills / Trusts Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Wills / Trusts lawyers in India

Similar questions

How can I cancel a Will and make a new one ?

My father-in-law had willed his ancestral property on my husband's name (only son & 3…

A Hindu father having 2 sons, 2 daughters (all married) and 2nd wife, wants to…

Wills / Trusts Lawyers in India

Advocate R C Mahajan

  Paschim Vihar
 Experience: 23 years

Advocate Namrata Jayakar

 Experience: 14 years

Advocate Saurabh Dalal

  Punjab and Haryana High Court
 Experience: 11 years

Advocate Riddhi Shah

  Borivali East
 Experience: 11 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly