Want to sell clothes to local retail stores. What licenses and taxes?

sir, i am a seamstress in alwarpet, chennai. i wish to sell clothes to local retail stores. can you tell me if i need a license, what taxes i would need to pay or add in my invoices, etc.? thanks.

Answers (2)

89 votes

Dear querist

You would require VAT license if you want to sell only within your state and CST if you want to sell across country. There is a threshold limit in every state till (Financial year wise) which you can sell goods without license. Also you need to see if your goods are exempted or not and what rate of tax is to be charged, if any.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

257 votes

Hi Sir,

The tax attracted towards readymade garments is 5% VAT. The same needs to added in the invoice. Secondly you need to to register your firm in the registrar's office. And they will issue you a TIN number.

After which you may bill your readymade garments.

Popular Tax Lawyers

Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
13 years Experience
Advocate Manish G Varma
Fort, Mumbai
19 years Experience
Advocate Suksham Aggarwal
Punjab and Haryana High Court, Chandigarh
8 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Tax Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."