Signed as a witness in Service Tax Raid in company. Any consequences?

There was a raid in my company yesterday by Service Tax Deptt. where I was asked by my boss to sign on some papers on company's behalf where it was written that I have received search warrant by Deptt and helped them in searching office premises. and four other employees were signed as witness. Please let me know if it has any legal implications for us or not? We have never been involved in such scenario before this..Plz suggest

Answers (1)

142 votes

Dear Querist

If you are one of the employees at key position in the company then there might be a problem as post amendment in 2013 if your company is found to have not deposited service tax above Rs. 50 lakh for past 6 months then the department has a right to arrest the person concerned ad the offence is non-bailable. The department may treat you as an accused or as an witness, depending upon your role in the company. If you know that the service tax liability for past 6 month exceed 50 lakh (not deposited) then there may be an arrest on the way. We got the 1st person who was arrested in north India bailed out from patiala house court, as we have knowledge in field of service tax and criminal field. There are various other things to look into this. the sword of arrest would be hanging most on the Directors. Believe me department implicate in the most remote cases as well (witnessed with one of our another client).

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Tax Lawyers

Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
26 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
12 years Experience
Advocate Manish G Varma
Fort, Mumbai
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Tax Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."