is legal heir certificate necessary to be deposited?

My father expired on 11 Mar 2015, and so my mother submitted an affidavit to the income tax authorities to file income tax for the AY 2015-16, on behalf of my father. So just wanted to know whether i should submit a legal heir certificate also or not? Or affidavit enough for Income tax purpose?

Even when a person dies, the assessment of his income is to be done upto the time of his death.This is for an individual and is covered under Section 159 of the income tax act.

The legal representative of the deceased has to file the income tax return for the income on which the deceased.  Hence you would be required to file legal heir certificate.

Popular Tax Lawyers

Advocate Manish G Varma
Fort, Mumbai
Advocate Suksham Aggarwal
District and Sessions Court, Ambala