How to change residential tax to commercial tax?

I am Chartered accountant by profession and presently staying in a rented house. I wanted to open my office on the ground floor of the house for which my landlord has agreed. But I wanted to know that do I have to change the residential tax to commercial tax, if I open my office?

Answers (1)

118 votes
As per Indian Law, all doctors, lawyers and CAs can use 30% of their residential premises for consultations. This would not be regarded as using property for commercial purposes. But if you utilise more that 30% of your residence as an office, you will have to pay commercial water charges and property tax for the same.

If you convert your property to a commercial one, the amount of tax will be as per the rule framed by the local Corporation. Once the property is marked as commercial property, it will be treated as commercial property for the purpose of collecting tax as well.

A non-nuisance professional activity running by doctors, lawyers, consultant, architect, chartered accountant, property consultants, government guides may also fall in the same category.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Tax Lawyers

Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
13 years Experience
Advocate Manish G Varma
Fort, Mumbai
19 years Experience
Advocate Suksham Aggarwal
District and Sessions Court, Ambala
8 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Tax Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."