Online alcohol delivery website with Aadhar verification

HI, I wanted to know if someone can start an online ordering website/app wherein we just DELIVER alcohol to people's homes by taking it from licensed alcohol retailers and charging the customers for our DELIVERY SERVICE.?? Also, we plan to deliver alcohol only to people who provide their id proof on the website/app and verify that they are above 21 years of age.

Such business will depend upon if you fulfill all legal requirements of local laws of your concerned state. Law may vary state to state. Some state prohibits sell of alcohol. So, first, you check whether your state law allow such business and if yes, then, you should procure license for selling alcohol and fulfill other legal requirements.

Every State has different Excise laws and therefore it would be relevant to mention in which State do you want to set up the business. Since sale and purchase of liquor is a State subject each state has its own law. For example the Bombay prohibition act prohibits transport, buying, selling, stocking, producing and consuming alcoholic drinks unless done in the manner prescribed by law. Therefore you will have to specify the State in which you will carry out the online business. Further in States where there is no specific prohibition on sale and purchase of liquor online you have to inform the Excise Department about the same and obtain a requisite license form the concerned department.

Popular Startup Lawyers

Dr. Sudhir Ravindran
Guindy, Chennai
Advocate Surangama Sharma
Gomti Nagar, Lucknow

Dear Sir,
As doing business of alcohol is subject to license and permit specific to geographic location, an online delivery for the same would require proper structuring of your alcohol online business, which can be done via an e-commerce format or as an aggregator. However, both the modus operandi requires approval from the relevant government authority. In past, few online business such as letsbuydrink.com (which is now closed) had operated as online sale & delivery of alcohol where the risk allocation with the distributor had to be taken care, as the business is subject to several restrictions. A detailed legal advisory must be sought before commencement of such venture.
Best-