Recovery of money from person promised to get a house

Hello. There was this guy who promised us to get a house in Mumbai suburbs in a cheaper rates. He therefore since 2015 took 10k a month till date by telling us that the construction is in process and once the flats are done he will show it to us. He also took around 1 lakh in cash. The total amt he took till date is 4 lakh rps. Now when we got to know that he was cheating and no such construction has taken place we asked back for our money. After many follow ups he gave the cheque of 4,10,000 rs then he called me up and said that do not deposit as his hdfc bank acc has no money in it. And since then I am trying to contact him he is not even receiving my phone and there are no details of his whereabouts. kindly suggest.

Answers (2)

Hi. You have 3 remedies against this person.
1. Intimate that person in writing (u can email him) asking him to maintain sufficient balance in his account as you will be depositing the cheque given by him in your bank for encashment. If you do not hear from him within the notice period stated in your written notice, then you can deposit the cheque for encashment in your bank. It's highly probable that the cheque will bounce. Upon the cheque being dishonoured you can file a complaint against him with the Magistrate court under section 138 of negotiable instruments act.
2. You can also file a criminal complaint against this person with the police with all documentary proof that the amounts were paid by you. Mark this letter as CC to the commissioner of police. If you do not receive any reply from police then you can follow up with your letter with the commissioner's office through RTI.
3. If the person has admitted his liability in writing in any correspondence exchanged with you, then you can also file a summary suit in the civil court.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Kindly note that a cheque is valid only for 90 days from the date of issue. Kindly deposit the cheque soon and then you can proceed against the aforesaid person by filling a case under section 138 of Negotiable Instruments Act. Kindly let me know if there is any written paper work of the said transaction. I will advise you more accordingly. You can also sue the person for cheating. For any further clarification and more detailed advice kindly book a consultancy call.

Popular Recovery Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Recovery Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

The company I worked in for more than 1.5 years stopped paying my salary after December, 2013. I quit this job in February 2014. I was working as a Se…

Read More

Hello, I had given a loan of 5 lakh to my friend on August 2013 and as a surety we made a agreement(e stamp paper) to give the money in 3 years>He …

Read More

If a private limited takes a bank loan without any collateral, and is not able to repay it, what's the consequence or how is the bank legally enti…

Read More

After completing front elevation work client not paying…

Read More