Loan of father. Now money to repay. What to do?

My father passed away in may 2013. He had taken money for work from a bank against mortgage of our house. I am his eldest son 27 years old currently unemployed. The loan is of 20 lakhs. I am in not in a position to pay it back right now. So how should i approach this situation legally?

Answers (1)

276 votes
Bank will issue a notice to all the legal heirs of the deceased to clear the dues and if no legal heir is volunteering to clear the loan then the bank, after publishing a Public Notice in leading newspapers, would auction the property and the proceeds would be set off against the outstanding loan amount and if any excess money is still left with the bank, the same would be distributed equally to all legal heirs, subject to production of Legal heirs' Survivor-ship certificate from revenue authorities or certified family tree and an affidavit from all legal heirs to that effect.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Recovery Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Recovery Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles