Gave money to a person. Now he is making excuses to pay

One of my friend has borrowed 10 lacs last year. For that he gave me his vehicle and cheques/demand note. Now for repayment he is making excuses and not returning money. What should i do?

Answers (1)

438 votes
Your query is silent as to whether an agreement was executed between you and the borrower prior to the money being lent to him.

If such an agreement exists then file a recovery suit in the concerned civil court.

If no such document exists then deposit the cheques in the bank. Once the cheques are dishonoured you may prosecute him for the offence of cheque bounce which carries an imprisonment of up to 2 years.

A prosecution for cheque bounce needs to be preceded by an absolute compliance of all the legal framework governing it.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Recovery Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Recovery Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles