found some silver articles while it legal to keep them

While digging found same silver coin with elizabeth queen's picture on it. now my question is can I keep them. Is there any law which prevent me to keep those coins with me

Answers (3)

115 votes

Yes, there is a law which obligates you to return the treasure back to the Government. The Indian Treasure Trove Act, 1878 will be applicable in this case. Section 4 of the said Act clearly says that
if anyone finds a treasure exceeding in amount or value ten rupees is found, the finder shall give to the Collector notice in writing—
(a) of the nature and amount or approximate value of such treasure;
(b) of the place in which it was found;
(c) of the date of the finding:
and either deposit the treasure in the nearest Government Treasury, or give the Collector such security as the Collector thinks fit, to produce the treasure at such time and place as be may from time to time require.

Therefore, you are bound by law to return the same back to the Government.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

244 votes

As per the Antiquities and Art Treasures Act, 1972 you have to first inform the Government of India through Archaeological Survey of India and thereafter you may be considered for grant of compensation by the Government, if you are found eligible as per the law.

Popular Recovery Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
111 votes

you can keep the coins until you tell this to anybody else. since if nobody knows, nobody can complain against you. otherwise whatever is found beneath the earth is Government of India's property. suppose if there is a natural gas storage beneath your house, it does not belong to you but Govt. of India.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Recovery Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles