Denied to repay the money lent

I lended 50k to a person who was in need and took a cheque in return. Now he denies to repay the amount ,what legal action can I take against him ??

Present a cheque in a bank and if cheque is dishonoured than send him a notice for demand of payment within 1 month of dishonour of cheque and wait for payment till 15 days and if than also he is not paying file a criminal case against him within 1 month.

It is simple put the cheque for encashment and if the said is dishonoured, then proceed under NI Act by primarily issuing a fifteen days notice and then by filing a criminal complaint before the competent court having jurisdiction.