quesCan I claim back TDS paid on a competition prize if i am a student?

I won the 1st prize in a competition and paid TDS for claiming the prize – Rs.7500. I am a student and want to know if I can claim back the TDS amount?

  • ans

    If Prize is given to a person for winning a game show on basis of competencea nd merit then, TDS will be applicable and will have to be deducted u/s 194B by the payer of prize.

    If Prize is given to a person for excelling in some competition or exam other than game show in electronic mode or TV Show, based on his inherent competence and merit then, TDS will not be
    applicable on the same.

    So for guiding you in the right direction we would like to know the nature of the competition from which this prize money you won.

    In addition to that, TDS is applicable on amount of prize more than Rs. 10,000/-


  • Send Legal Notice For Recovery Of Dues with Expert Lawyers
    Know More

    Click here to see all Recovery Legal Services
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Recovery Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Recovery lawyers in India

Similar questions

Sir, I am a gurantor in a loan by my realitive in the year 1998…
hi... i have newly started a very very small company in my own residence at…
After completing front elevation work client not payig

Dear Sir, I have sold my flat to a person for Rs. 20 lacs out…

Recovery Lawyers in India

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate Harish Malhotra

  District Court
 Experience: 19 years

View all >>