What is the procedure to transfer property amongst first cousins

Myself and my brother are the two kids for my parents. I at the age of 10 years was adopted by my uncle who is my father younger brother. The house where I live now is joint property registered in the name of my biological father and the adopted father. My biological parents along with my brother and his family reside in the first floor of the above said property and my adopted parents, myself and my family members reside in the ground floor of the above said property. My biological parents are no more. I currently continue to stay in ground floor with my wife, children’s and adopted parents. My brother continues to stay in the first floor of the same property along with his wife and two daughters. What is the best procedure to follow to get the property transferred completely in my name? Will my brother's wife and brother's childerns have to be involved in property transfer?

Answers (1)

293 votes

Since the property was in the joint names of your biological and adopted father, it would mean that each of them had 50% share each on the property. This would automatically mean that the surviving members of both families would have a right on the property. The same would not stretch to the wife and children of your brother but your brother and if there are any other siblings and biological mother will definitely have a right in the property and the would have to require to transfer the right of the property to you by way of a gift deed or release deed. Please also note that in case of your adopted father in case you have any siblings/mother from here even they would have a right on the property.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
23 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles