Unregistered agreement is valid or invalid

I am from Madhya Pradesh. I want to know if the unregistered agreement of sale of a property is valid or not in court.

Answers (3)

225 votes

As per amendment act of 2009 in Sate of MP agreement to sale are required to be registered. But still with the help of S 49 of Registration Act you can file a civil suit for specific performance of agreement. If there is deficit stamp duty on agreement get it impounded from competent authority.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

55 votes


Vide section 4 of Registration (M.P. Amendment) Act 2009, clauses F and G have been inserted in section 17 of the Indian Registration Act, 1908 which provides that "any document which purports or operates to effect any contract for sale of any immovable property compulsorily requires registration".

The said amendment has come into force in the state of MP from 14.01.2010, which is the date of its publication in the gazette of MP.
If your agreement is after this date, then it is not valid in eyes of law. However, you have another right to sue him for specific performance of contract alleging verbal contract of sale.

Raghvendra Singh Raghuvanshi
Advocate-High Court of MP, Indore

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
255 votes

The contents of unregistered agreement has to be proved before court through evidence and by paying proper stamp duty...and decree for specific performance of contract can be demanded by filing civil suit....it can be valid if proved before court

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles