Son claiming share in the self acquired property of the mother

We have bought a property from a lady which is her self acquired property. Now one of her sons has filed a civil case against his mother asking for a share. He is denying to vacate the house and is not allowing us to take possession as well. We are really not sure if the lady will visit the court during the hearing as she has already sold the property to us. Kindly suggest on what step needs to be taken.

Answers (2)

320 votes

it is better if you implead yourself as the defendant into the case filed by the son against his mother, as a necessary party (subsequent purchaser) and contest the case on merits.
If and when the mother does attend the case and if she files a written statement in the case, go through it and file a better written statement once you have been impleaded in the case, this will determine the case on merits. She in any case will be your principal and you her agent.
if she remains absent for what ever reasons, then you must attend the case very deligently otherwise the plaintiff, her son could turn the case around for you.

verify property documents in less than 7 days to secure a trustworthy transactions with the help of expert lawyers at LawRato

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

257 votes

As it is Self acquired property of the women , it will become her own property which she can convey to anybody without her children's consent. Hence her children will not get any rights in respect of the subject property. As you are the present owner of the subject property you can implead your name in the said case.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Shashi Kant Sharma
District Court, Gurgaon
11 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles