Sister passed away and her in laws have gold can we recover it legally

My sister, brother in law and nephew passed away in the kedarnath disaster. it happened 2 years back and my sister's in laws got 5 lac compensation from the government. There was a lot gold gifted at the time of marriage. I want to know can we in any manner recover the gold from the in laws?

Answers (2)

214 votes

The Gold gifted at time of marriage being Stridhan, is the absolute Property of your sister and after her death and death of her son, the mother and father of your sister are her legal heirs and can claim any such Property, which was owned by your sister including the gold. If the parents of your sister are not alive, in such circumstances, you as a brother can claim.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

76 votes

Theoretically I would say yes you could recover the gold. This advice would also serve me better basis you will then need to file a case through an advocate.
However practically it is not possible and you would not be able to recover it.
The gold would not be documented so you would be able to prove what all was given besides the in-laws could say that it was all with your sister and we don't know about it and she might have sold it all during her lifetime

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles