Selling a jointly owned house property without co owner's consent

I have jointly brought a house with my cobrother and now he is willing to sell his share to a third party as I’m not ready to buy his share.also the house is not divided. The third party owns a house besides our property and so he is ready to buy my cobrother’s share. My concern is it would be a problem for my share if that third party buys from my cobrother. So it is possible for me to restrict my cobrother in selling his share to that particular third party? Please advise

Answers (1)

148 votes

Find out what are the terms on the basis of which you jointly purchased the property and clearly mention your share and your co brother has the right to sell his share . what you can do is to buy his share but you can not stop selling his share unless it is mentioned in your terms of original purchase.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles