Right on the grandmothers property

Hi! My husbands grandmother had a property on her name which was on GPA. His grandmother and father died without transferring the gpa on anyone's name. Now my sister in-law has taken the papers and is claiming her right on the entire property. We need to know how can my husband claim his property and get the GPA transferred on his name.

Answers (2)

252 votes


Your husband has right /share in the ancestral property if there is no will in favour of your sister in law , but you have not disclosed when did your father in law expired , if expired before 2005 then your sister in law Will not have share in the property and if the property is distributed after 2005 then your sister in law will also have share in the property.

Ramit Sehrawat

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

198 votes

See first you must realise that a General Power of Attorney is merely a document sanctioning control over the governance of the property and does not in any manner guarantee a right in the ownership of such property. Second, the status of the property needs to be ascertained - whether it is ancestral or self acquired. Many other details are needed for an effective opinion.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
24 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles