Right on the grandmothers property

Hi! My husbands grandmother had a property on her name which was on GPA. His grandmother and father died without transferring the gpa on anyone's name. Now my sister in-law has taken the papers and is claiming her right on the entire property. We need to know how can my husband claim his property and get the GPA transferred on his name.

Your husband has right /share in the ancestral property if there is no will in favour of your sister in law , but you have not disclosed when did your father in law expired , if expired before 2005 then your sister in law Will not have share in the property and if the property is distributed after 2005 then your sister in law will also have share in the property.

Thanks
Ramit Sehrawat
Advocate

See first you must realise that a General Power of Attorney is merely a document sanctioning control over the governance of the property and does not in any manner guarantee a right in the ownership of such property. Second, the status of the property needs to be ascertained - whether it is ancestral or self acquired. Many other details are needed for an effective opinion.