Right of married daughter on parents self acquired property

My mother & my father had jointly purchased a property in 1947 & it was registered on 06.12.1947 on their names. My father died in 1953 & my mother died in 1988 leaving behind one daughter(married) myself & one son. Now can I have any share over the said property? If yes then under which law I will get the share & how much? If no then why? We are Hindu & living in west Bengal.

Answers (2)

56 votes

Yes you have 50% share of that land under the Hindu Law in India. After the death of your father and mother, you along with your brother will inherit the property in 50:50 proportion in accordance with the Hindu Law in India.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

271 votes

If you are married before your father's death but prior to your mother's death, you are entitled to 25% share in the property. If you are married after your mother's demise you are entitled to 50% share. If you are married before your father's demise you are not entitled to anything. Because the Hindu Succession Act before its amendment in 2005 provided that the married daughter would not be entitled to anything from the ancestral property, but the 2005 amendment brought the provision entitling the married daughter also with the equal rights as of a son and thereafter she is entitled with the equal share of the ancestral property. All the best. Regards

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles