×

Right of married daughter on parents self acquired property

My mother & my father had jointly purchased a property in 1947 & it was registered on 06.12.1947 on their names. My father died in 1953 & my mother died in 1988 leaving behind one daughter(married) myself & one son. Now can I have any share over the said property? If yes then under which law I will get the share & how much? If no then why? We are Hindu & living in west Bengal.

Yes you have 50% share of that land under the Hindu Law in India. After the death of your father and mother, you along with your brother will inherit the property in 50:50 proportion in accordance with the Hindu Law in India.

If you are married before your father's death but prior to your mother's death, you are entitled to 25% share in the property. If you are married after your mother's demise you are entitled to 50% share. If you are married before your father's demise you are not entitled to anything. Because the Hindu Succession Act before its amendment in 2005 provided that the married daughter would not be entitled to anything from the ancestral property, but the 2005 amendment brought the provision entitling the married daughter also with the equal rights as of a son and thereafter she is entitled with the equal share of the ancestral property. All the best. Regards