Registration of property under jurisdiction of two sub- registrars

03-May-2023 (In Property Law)
Is it possible to register an immovable property that falls within the jurisdiction of two different sub-registrars, with just one of them? Will such a registration under section 28 of the Indian Registration Act 1908 be valid? I am not able to find any relevant case study on this. It would be really helpful to find the most recent case study regarding the principle.
Answers (3)

Answer #1
804 votes
A immovable property situated in the jurisdiction of more then one registrar can be registered with the office of any one Sub Registrar in whose jurisdiction such immovable property situated. The case law you may search on this point As there are many. If couldn't, you can revert back me on my email.
Thank s.

Answer #2
604 votes
You can simply make an RTI application to confirm that the property falls under the jurisdiction of which sub registrar. In case it falls under both the sub registrars then you can go ahead with registration at either of the place. It would be a valid registration. Chances are that it would be only with one, which would come out via the RTI
Answer #3
850 votes
A copy of a decree or of an order of court relating to immovable property may be presented for registration either in the office of the Sub-registrar in whose sub-district the property or any portion of it is situate or in the office of the Sub-Registrar in whose sub-district the original decree or order was made. It does not make any difference whether you register the property in any of the sub-registrars office under whose jurisdiction the property falls even partially.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."