Procedure to Purchase house rented since 50 years properly

Hi, We have been living in a rented house since more then 50 years. The owner of the house are no more. We have been send the rent through post through out the years. From past 10-15 years no one from the owner side accepting the rent and we have came to know that the owner is no more. Now we want to acquire that house and build new. We will not build new house until the house is legally to our name. Because in future we may face issue while selling it. Need expert guidance to resolve the matter at earliest. Thank you

Answers (2)

255 votes

When you say “no one from the owner side accepting the rent”, I would like to know the medium of your payment transaction.
To own the property in question the status and existence of the legal heirs of the deceased owner would be a basic requirement. With reference to that you may or may not be benefitted as per the law of adverse possession. However in my opinion till today you are a legal tenant of the property.
There are many legal aspects to be considered before acquiring the property.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

158 votes

You have the right to use the property. You can repair the building or house, you can build a new house, what ever you want to do you can do. Contact the lawrato to assign a lawyer to you.
For further query contact lawrato.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles