Procedure to add my wife's name in my flat documents

I have bought a flat in my name which is under home loan. How can i add my wife as co owner? Can i gift 50% through hibanama?

Answers (4)

283 votes

Terms & Conditions set out in the Home Loan contract shall be the deciding factor in respect of your intention to make your wife co-owner of the property.The lending authority , if permissible under the referred contract, would examine credit worthiness of the co-borrower (your wife) and decide upon the issue. Parting away of any portion of the encumbered property through gift is not permissible under the
Law. Examine all the issues stated above at the first instance and contact lawRato for further instructions.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

78 votes

Yes the best option is to gift .it will attract very less stamp duty if you give by registered deed..and Ur wife will become owner of half if you gift half.
Secondly under Muslim law one give through hibanama also..but that may not be eligible for loan.. because different banks have different regulations.Hope it may Be helpful

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
135 votes

yes you can gift 50% of your property to you wife through hibanama under muslim law. it is better advised to you to draft the hibanama document carefully through an advocate who deals with these kind of matters

285 votes

You can gift a share of your property in her name through gift deed. In order to provide you the best possible remedy you need to come to our office with all the documents. The deed need to be registered when you are gifting her.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles