Partition of property sales proceedings

we are 7 sons. My mother inherited property of my father after all of us registered a release deed as there was no will. My mother would like to sell the property & divide the sales proceedings equally. Please let me know if she can divide the amount received as she wants to or she has to divide it equally. I would also like to know if any of the sons can demand more than what he is entitled to.

Answers (2)

268 votes

Yes she can divide the amount received as she wants to and no one can demand more than what he/she is entitled to as all have executed a release deed in her favour in respect of the Subject Property.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

227 votes

Once a release deed is registered your mother becomes the absolute owner. She can sell the property and retain the proceeds for herself. If she wishes to, she can distribute a part or the whole of the proceeds. None can claim a right to a share

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles