One family member not agreeing for property distribution. What to do?

There is a property distribution everyone is agreed to the matter but only one of our family member is not agreed. What options do we have?

Answers (3)

94 votes

In the event the family member concerned refuses to subscribe his hand to the family settlement all the others have the option of approaching a civil court for a decree of partition and the court can then partition the property as per the respective shares of the parties

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

266 votes

All the agreed members can file a suit for partition of the property in the court against the person who is not agreed. That person may get agreed under the pressure of the case otherwise court will pass an order to partition the property. In cases where the partition is not possible then court also directs to sell the property and distribute the sale proceeds among the persons according to their share.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
216 votes

Get a professional to mediate between the parties. Sometimes a neutral party is better able to convince someone as opposed to a family member or interested party. File a suit for partition If no settlement can be reached.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles