my younger brother demand for his share in my property

Sir I have purched a property before marriage.After mmarriage I lived there . after some my brother come there to live saying this that he will left this place after some time. Now he install a electric meter on his name where I am living. The old meter and power of attorney is on my name. Now he asking money to live place. Does he has right to get share in this property? How should I deal with him?

Answers (3)

196 votes

in this circumstances electricity bill is a proof of residence but it does not create any right in the property so they do not have any right in the property. the older meter is still in existence and property documents is in your name than you are the owner of the property. power of attorney is not mutation. secondly in what capacity did you allow your brother to fix other meter ?

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

130 votes

Dear Sir,

Legally talking you should file a suit for mandatory injunction to throw your brother out of the premises.

Off the record you can use force and throw him out by taking help of local police. If you go for a case your brother will just buy time for himself and keep sitting in your house.

Ps: This may be not be treated as a legal opinion.

Feel free to contact of you wish to proceed legally.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
193 votes

Your brother has no right over the property bought by you. Firstly, file an application with the Authorities supplying electricity and asking them on what premise did they install the electricity connection. I strongly believe that your brother has fudged some papers to either show himself as a co-owner or a lessee.

Post you enquire these preliminary facts, then isue him a notice to vacate the house. If he doesn't then file civil suit and also a criminal complaint of illegal trespass.


Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles