My step sister is claiming my property what can I do

i am an adopted daughter to a second wife to my parents have passed away.we are hindu. the disputed property is my legal hairs first my father go 50% and i got 50% of the father passed away 3 years ago and now my step sister is trying to pull me to court with this property. she had no contact with my parents till they passed mother got this property from her brother who gifted her in those days as a marriage father has legally divorced his first wife. i have papers to prove that.

Answers (2)

237 votes

Madam, you have not mentioned your religion here. This is applicable to hindus :- As per section 15 of Hindu succession act. When a female die intestate i.e., your mother dying with out a will in your case. The property devolve directly to you . Your father has not been any share under the law. As such the further question of devolution from your father to you and your step sister does not araise in your case.
Your step sister has no right whatsoever on the property in dispute.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

304 votes

The fact and the law in this regard is that your father divorced his wife only and not his daughter.

He cannot divorce his daughter.

The daughter is his one among the legal heirs hence she has right in her biological father's property.

You are no one to deny her the legal rights that are protected by law.

The court litigation will be a long drawn battle, understand the position of law and settle the issues out of court so that you can avoid wastage of time, money and energy due to this.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Gouri Shankar Hemekari
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
23 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Sector - 49, Gurgaon
18 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Karkardooma Court, Delhi
18 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles