Mother in law written property to her another son.Will i get it or not

Sir my in laws property my mother in law written to her anothee 2 sons it was in my mothee in law name. Whether i will get or not. Since I am a widow I got 2 children

Answers (3)

297 votes

If the Property is Self Acquired of Your Mother in law she can do any thing with her own accord. You may not claim any right over the said Property. if the property is Ancestral you may claim, otherwise You have No right

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

83 votes

If it is self acquired property your mother in law can gift it to any person. In case of ancestral property one share has to be given to the deceased son's legal heirs. You have mentioned the property is in the name of mother in law, in that case you may not get. You can request your mother in law to share the property to her grand children.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
282 votes

If the property was your mother in laws self acquired or own property or the property standing in her name alone,then she has full rights to transact with the property in any manner she desired. Suppose the property was her husband's and he is no more then the property will equally devolve on all his legal heirs of which your husband will be one and being deceased his legal heirs will get his share. If this is fact, you can file a suit seeking partition and separate possession of your share in your father in law's intestate property.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles