Mother in law stopping me from becoming nominee for husband's property

My sister is having some family issues regarding the property. That is her mother in law does not want her husband to make the nominee of any of his policy or FD s. However, regarding this her husband is worried and want to secure her future buying LIC term policy. But I think this will not work as his mother may claim the half amount on his decease. Her mother in law is quite rich and not dependent on the son. Is there any way in which my sister can claim whole the property amount. What steps have to be taken to do that?

Answers (2)

236 votes

In your problem, mother in law do not have any right over her daughter in law moment. She doesn't have right to interfere in her move in between the husband and wife. It also amount to harassment.

As you told, it is possible there that her mother may claim in future in case of some bad event happens.

Sister cannot claim whole the property amount. Here the husband can do nominate of any one. It may be your sister name or your mother name too. It is left to the husband to nominate a person for his FD and other Policies.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

240 votes

In this case husband of your sister is free to make anyone nominee in the said benefits. Also, in case if he dies inestate then, his wife and his legal heirs are eligible to claim all the benefits accordingly, legal heirs of your husbands have the right to claim the benefits of your brother-in-law's post death benefits.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles