Making gift deed property in Maharashtra Dist. How to pay stamp duty?

Can I make a gift deed property sister to brother and how to pay stamp duty charge or without stampduty possible in maharastra plz give me suggesion?

Answers (2)

233 votes

You can transfer the property to your near and dear ones by executing gift deed and same needs to be registered on payment of stamp duty at the rate of 2% in maharashtra and get such deed registered in the office of registrar

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

194 votes

Yes you can gift property to your brother by executing a gift deed.
However, it is compulsory to pay stamp duty and register the gift deed. According to the latest amendment in the stamp act, in Article 34, in column 2, after the existing proviso, the following proviso shall be added, namely:-
“Provided further that, if the residential and agricultural property is gifted to husband, wife, son, daughter, grandson, grand-daughter, wife of decesed son, the amount of duty chargeable shall be rupees two hundred.”;
Since gift from sister to brother is not covered in this amendment, the old provisions will apply. Thus, the stamp duty payable will be approx. 2% of the market value of the property.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles