Is wife entitled to husband's property after his death

Hi, My Father in law died recently and my husband expired before my father-in-law death. so i just wanted to know whether i will be one of the legal-R candidate or not ? Also, i would like to know whether i will be getting the share which on behalf of my husband or not ?

Answers (3)

70 votes

Yes, no doubt you are entitled to the share of your husband with regard to the properties whether movable or fixed assets. Even a pre deceased son's wife and children if any do have rights under the Hindu law in respect of the husband share in the property.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

238 votes

Hi madam/sir.
You have full right to that property madam but that property inheritance property or your father in law own earned property mean you cliam

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
129 votes

Assuming that you are a Hindu, you will get a share in your father in law's properties being his son's legal heir. In the present case, you will get the share that your husband was entitled to as you are class1 legal heir of your husband. If there are other class1 legal heirs too of your husband like his son or daughter then your husband's share of property will be distributed equally among all his class1 legal heirs

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles