is it necessary to registter will?

I have a property in surat which my aunty gave to me through a will now she is no more so to transfer the property in my name to enter the name in city survey is probate is necessary or a register will which iam having is sufficient .

Answers (2)

264 votes

Dear Sir,
It is not necessary that the will is registered. As per law the will shall have to be signed and shall have signatures of two witness. In your case since you have a registered will it helps your case.

Probate shall only be required if any third party raises objections to the validity of the will or if the registrar feels that there is something suspicious in the will.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

218 votes

As per Indian succession act and judgement of Gujarat high court, probate is not require for immovable property. You can directly enter your name in city survey record but nowadays city survey Supretendant may be ask for prober certificate from court and when you file a application in city survey that time legel heirs of your Aunty may be oppose and challenge a will in civil court.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles