Is a seller bound by an oral agreement to sell the his property

I have two adjacent plots for sale and one person showed interest to buy them, paid me a small amount as token advance and took Xerox copies of the land with an oral assurance that within 30 days the sale transaction will be completed.After ten days he said he could buy only one plot and will find another buyer to buy the other plot for the agreed sale price.I refused.But he says because the agreement is for 30 days and he is ready to pay the agreed sale price,I should sell the land only to him.can he force me to sell to two different person the two plots on the same day? Nothing is given in writing between the buyer and seller,no sale agreement in writing is signed, no MOU,only oral understanding between the parties.I am ready to sell if only one person buys both plots and not to two different persons.I have only one sale deed in which both plots are registered with respective schedule of property in one deed.He is refusing to take back the token money and forcing me to sell it to him

Answers (2)

78 votes

You can refuse to register the sale deed as there is no agreement of sale executed by you in his favour. Mere agreement of sale in writing is also not enough. It must be as well registered. In your case there is no such deed and it is a mere oral understanding. Under law the other party has no right to ask you to execute the sale deed. it is only your wish to execute the sale. No one can compel you.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

319 votes

He can not compel you to give it to a different person and please return the amount by a cheque drawn in his name and send by registered force and if he threatens lodge a police complaint . If he moves the court for specific performance it will not stand and engage a good lawyer.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles