Husband's right over his father's property who married twice

We are Hindus. Does my husband has a right on his father's property and we are living in a joint family. His father has got second marriage after the death of his first wife. My husband is first wife's son .

Answers (3)

239 votes

With respect to your father in law's self acquired property your husband has no right but if there are any ancestral property then your husband has a right over it. And if there are any property which is purchased out of joint family fund means even if your husband has contributed any share then he has right with respect to that share.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

83 votes

Yes your husbend has right over his fathers property and he can legally claim the share over the property even though father married second marriage ur husbend has got right to claim his father's property share

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
106 votes

whether the property owned by your husband's father is ancestral or self acquired?
Under Hindu Law, the sons, daughters and wife are the class-1 heirs to the ancestral property.
if it is self acquired by your husband's father and he died intestate, then also your husband can claim share in his property as a class-1 heir.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles